(See companion stein 198) I recently obtained these two, uncommon, Naval Cold War Steins, both named to Master Chief Petty Officer Earl Loop. Loop joined the Navy in 1947, became a Collection Cryptologic Technician, and ultimately achieved one of the highest enlisted ranks. In 1971, Loop was assigned to the Naval Security Group Activity (NSGA), Bremerhaven on a three-year tour as shown on the central scene of his stein. The right-side scene shows seal of the US Naval Security Group with reference to the Chief Petty Officer Club located in Imsum, a suburb of Bremerhaven. The left side scene is a modification of the coat of arms of the city of Bremerhaven.
In Mach 1972, elements of NSGA Bremerhaven relocated to Augsburg, Germany. By December 1972, the NSGA Brremerhaven had been deactivated with the units’ personnel relocating to Augsburg or other locations. Loop was one of the sailors reassigned to Augsburg. The central scene is another modified version of the Bremerhaven coat of arms with an American eagle sitting on top and the date 1 Mar 72 indicating the date that Naval Security Detachment Augusburg was established.
The first members of the Naval Security Group began operations in Germany on June 29, 1951. A few months later, the five Communications Technicians were moved to Bremerhaven and attached to the 23rd Detachment of the 2nd Radio Squadron Mobile. On February 9, 1953, the Naval Security Group Detachment, Naval Forces Eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean was established, consisting of seven officers and 107 enlisted personnel and designated as Navy Communications Unit Thirty-Two Dog.
The Naval Security Group Activity Bremerhaven was established on June 11, 1956 and remained there until 1972. On March 1, 1972, the Naval Security Group Detachment was established in Augsburg, Germany and by December 31, 1972, all personnel had been moved to Augsburg or other assignments and operations in Bremerhaven came to an end.
Loop retired from the Navy in July 1974 and passed away on June 15, 1987.
Both steins have the commonly found nude lithophane. The Bremerhaven coat of arms consisting of a ship and a fish is representative of the importance of the city as a shipping and fishing harbor. The symbols on the sail of the ship are reminders of Bremerhaven’s history. In 1924, the communities of Lehe and Geestemuende combined to form the community of Wesermuende. In 1939, Wesermuende absorbed nearby Bremerhaven. Following WWII, the community was renamed Bremerhaven. The symbols on the ship’s sails are from left to right: scythes for Lehe; an anchor for Geestemuende; a key and Christian cross for Bremerhaven.