BODIES BY FREISING
August Saeltzer, 1820-1880, operated a small earthenware factory and decorated steinzeug purchased from various factories. One of those factories was the Freising factory which provided blanks to Saeltzer between 1876 and 1882. Illustrated here, are three such pieces. The Saeltzer factory/workshop was in operation from 1858 to 1930 under several proprietors.
This stein, which is a variety of Freising number 208 is always sold as 1.0 Liter, but is actually a 1/2 Liter. It has a huge music box base which makes it visually deceptive. The shard below, on the left, is from the 1988 dig at the Freising factory site.
This piece is similar to a number 208, as it has the same couples dancing around the body, but it is without the arches and herms. A herm is a stone pillar with a head, or bust on top. During Roman times, they appeared at road crossings and were used as mile markers. Like the piece above, the shards on the left are from the 1988 Freising dig.
This particular stein is more in keeping with what we might expect to see from the Saeltzer workshop. It can be attributed to the Freising factory through its capacity mark and the marks on the bottom which are the same as those on the Freising, number 112, monk below.